updated 8:22 AM UTC, Oct 17, 2019

Writers hope for R-rating for 'Deadpool 3 from Marvel

Deadpool writers Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese hope Merc with a Mouth will continue to live in the R-rated universe they created as well as a possible crossover with the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The writer duo, who are in for the potential third sequel with Ryan Reynolds returning as the titular antihero, said the project is still up in the air.

"The plan and the hope is that Marvel allows us to continue Deadpool in his R-rated universe that he lives in and also, hopefully over time, we get to play a little bit in the MCU sandbox as well," Wernick told io9 website. Reese added it is "all undetermined" for now as they are finding out the right entry point for the character.

"Marvel's a rich universe of both heroes and also, wonderfully, villains. So we would love to see Deadpool enter that universe in a fun way. It's just about figuring out how and when," he said. They also revealed the "transition" of Fox to Disney has "delayed" the process as the top brass is trying to figure out the direction MCU will take.

"(Plus) Ryan is very busy and the transition has delayed everything because you just don't know. (Marvel Studios) is figuring out the next version of the MCU obviously and that's its own beast. Then you throw Deadpool in there and the X-Men and stuff, and it's crazy," Reese said. Wernick said "Deadpool 3" is a special project for them and one that deserves a "wonderful and great" idea.

"We will continue to trade texts back and forth with Ryan until we land on it, and then my guess is we'll be off writing soon after that," he added. Previously, Reynolds, who co-wrote "Deadpool 2" with Reese and Wernick, said the franchise will go in a "completely different direction" with the third movie.

(Source: www.mid-day.com)

Taapsee Pannu on Thappad: Gritty but a colourful film

Earlier this week, Taapsee Pannu wrapped up the shoot of Thappad, her second collaboration with director Anubhav Sinha after Mulk (2017). The actor asserts that the movie — despite its theme of examining the dynamics of a man-woman relationship — is not a bleak tale. "The film is told from the viewpoint of several women and traces every kind of relationship, from fiancés to lovers to older couples.

Women's lives have shades, so the movie is not as dark as Mulk. It's gritty but colourful," explains Pannu, adding that she is balancing it with glamorous parts. "Before Judwaa 2, people stopped coming to me with glam roles. Now, I've been offered a film which sees me as a glamorous character but is backed by substance."

(Source: www.mid-day.com)

With 55 films in 20 years, Aftab Shivdasani is still discovering himself

Having started out his career as a child artiste with over 50 films to his credit, Aftab Shivdasani believes he still has to discover several aspects about himself even after completing 20-year in the film industry. "I think an actor grows and discovers so many things even about himself with each new role, film or character. Hence after having done approximately 55 films in 20 years, I'm still discovering so many new aspects to myself each day," the 41-year-old actor told ANI.

Aftab, who has acted in flicks like 'Mr India' as a child artiste and then graduated to adult roles with films like 'Mast' in 1999, considers himself "fortunate" to share a screen with Anil Kapoor. "Mr India was a beautiful experience and I was very fortunate to be part of this cult film. I enjoyed acting right since I was a kid. I carried on doing commercials and a few other films as a child actor until I got my first break as a lead actor in Mast," said Aftab.

Last seen in 'Setters' in the mainstream cinema, the actor is now venturing into south Indian cinema with his new Kannada movie 'Kottigabba 3'. "Kotigobba 3 happened to me by chance. I have known Kichcha Sudeep for many years. He has always encouraged me to do a film down south. So when I got this offer to work with him, I was very happy and excited as we have always wanted to work together," he said.

Opening up about the challenges he is facing down south, the 'Great Grand Masti' actor also appreciated the cast and crew of the south Indian film industry.

"I guess the only challenge is the language barrier but the script I translated into English for me. So, it became easy. I also developed a secret hack to recite my dialogues if they were longer than what I could remember! But it's wonderful to work with actors and technicians from other industries as they are all so talented and welcoming," he said.

(Source: www.mid-day.com)

 

Martin Scorsese blasts Marvel films yet again

Not pulling back any punches, Martin Scorsese again took a jibe at Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and reiterated his "theme park adventure" comments against the studio, known for making big-budget visual effects superhero spectacles. According to CNET, the iconic filmmaker said the Marvel movies were "not cinema" and such films had converted cinema halls into "amusement parks".

"Theatres have become amusement parks. The value of a film that is like a theme park film, Marvel-type pictures, where theatres become amusement parks, that's a different experience," Scorsese said.

The Irishman director said theatre owners need to up their game and not allow such films to "invade" space, which he believes, is deserved by "narrative films". "It's not cinema, it's something else, we shouldn't be invaded by it, so that is a big issue and we need the theatre owners to step up to allow theatres to show films that are narrative films," he added.

The Oscar-winning filmmaker was speaking at a press conference over the weekend at the BFI London Film Festival. In his previous comments, Scorsese said the MCU films don't serve the purpose of cinema and are rather a theme park adventure.

He had said he has seen some of the Marvel Studios projects and found them lacking on the "emotional and psychological experiences." The director's remarks sparked a divided debate with many MCU-related names, such as filmmakers James Gunn and Joss Whedon, actors Samuel L Jackson and Karen Gillan defending the studio, with Robert Downey Jr saying Scorsese was entitled to an opinion.

Friends alum Jennifer Aniston too weighed in on the controversy, saying Marvel films were responsible for the diminishing quality of movie experience.

(Source: www.mid-day.com)

Dostana 2: Kartik Aaryan, Janhvi Kapoor and Lakshya to head to Punjab for the first schedule

Ever since Dostana, directed by Tarun Mansukhani and starring John Abraham, Abhishek Bachchan and Priyanka Chopra released in 2008, fans have been waiting for the sequel. Some reports suggested the dashing duo would return but along with Katrina Kaif, however, the idea was canned due to lack of a bound script. The second part finally flies off but with a fresh cast.

For the uninitiated, Dostana 2 stars Kartik Aaryan, Janhvi Kapoor and debutant Lakshya. Mansukhani has been replaced by Collin D'Cunha, another fresh name. Now, Filmfare reports the shooting for the film is all set to start in Punjab by the end of October; this shall be the first schedule. Nothing about the plot is out yet but Aaryan is all set to play a homosexual character, and Kapoor will play his sister.

Over the years, Bollywood has made one too many films on homosexual relationships, from Aligarh to Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga to the upcoming Shubh Mangal Zyaada Saavdhan to now Dostana 2. On the work front, Aaryan has multiple films lined-up in his kitty, which include Pati, Patni Aur Woh, scheduled to release on December 6, 2019, Imtiaz Ali's untitled romance with Sara Ali Khan, releasing on February 14, 2020, Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 opening in the cinemas on July 31, 2020 and then this comedy.

Kapoor, on the other hand, will have an equally busy year, with Gunjan Saxena, releasing on March 13, 2020, RoohiAfza, coming out on April 17, 2020, Dostana 2 and Takht. She'll also collaborate with her father and filmmaker Boney Kapoor for a female-centric film soon. As far as Mansukhani is concerned, he hasn't made any film post Dostana for the last 11 years. He made Drive, starring Jacqueline Fernandez and Sushant Singh Rajput, which won't have a theatrical release but will release on Netflix on November 1.

(Source: www.mid-day.com)

K-pop star Sulli found dead at her South Korean home

Sulli, a 25-year-old K-pop star, was found dead at her residence near Seoul, South Korea, police said on Monday. Police told the BBC that the singer's manager found her dead at her home and were investigating the cause of her death.

The star, whose real name is Choi Jin-ri and had more than five million followers on Instagram, was a former member of the band F(x) until she left in 2015 to focus on her acting career. There were reports that said the artist suspended her K-pop work after struggling with the abuse she got online.

Sulli was good friends with K-pop star Jonghyun, who took his own life aged 27.

The artist paid tribute at his funeral in 2017.

(Source: www.mid-day.com)

Dream Girl becomes Ayushmann Khurrana's biggest grosser ever

Actor Ayushmann Khurrana is overwhelmed with how his films are being received by audiences. His latest release, Dream Girl, has become his highest-grossing movie till date. He says it is always amazing to reach new milestones.

Trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted on Monday: "#DreamGirl crosses *lifetime biz* of #BadhaaiHo... Emerges #AyushmannKhurrana's highest-grossing film... (Week 5) Fri 35 lakhs, Sat 60 lakhs, Sun 75 lakhs. Total: Rs 139.70 cr. #India biz."

The actor, who had made his Bollywood debut with Vicky Donor in 2012, is thrilled about the fact.

"As an artiste all you can really do is believe that you are picking a good film that will entertain audiences thoroughly. I have been lucky enough that more often than not, my films have worked at the box office and also got the acclaim that it deserved. It is always amazing to reach new milestones and I'm deeply overwhelmed with how my films are being received by audiences," said Ayushmann.

"I want to continue entertaining the people of my country and present them with content that is new, disruptive and thought-provoking. The success of 'Dream Girl' is a total team effort backed by the brilliant script that bowled me over the moment I read it," added the actor, who gave back-to-back hits, including Badhaai Ho and Andhadhun.

In Dream Girl, a comedy drama directed by Raaj Shaandilyaa, Ayushmann played the role of a man with the talent of impersonating a woman's voice.

(Source: www.mid-day.com)

Onward trailer: Chris Pratt and Tom Holland play teenage elf brothers

Disney and Pixar's Onward, which hits theatres in March 2020, unveiled a new trailer, poster and images this morning. Set in a suburban fantasy world, Onward introduces two teenage elf brothers, Ian and Barley Lightfoot (voices of Tom Holland and Chris Pratt), who embark on an extraordinary quest to discover if there is still a little magic left out there.

Also featuring the voice of Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Ian and Barley's mom, Laurel Lightfoot, and Octavia Spencer as the voice of the Manticore, Pixar Animation Studios' all-new original feature film is directed by Dan Scanlon and produced by Kori Rae - the team behind Monsters University.

Chris Pratt and Tom Holland were last seen together in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame as Star-Lord and SpiderMan respectively. Holland first slipped into the role of SpiderMan in the 2016 Captain America: Civil War, before headlining SpiderMan: Homecoming in 2017.

(Source: www.mid-day.com)

Hrithik Roshan on Krrish 4: We have started brainstorming and have begun work on the film

After back-to-back successes in Super 30 and War, Hrithik Roshan is currently sifting through scripts, ready to pencil in on his next. While buzz is that he will be a part of the Satte Pe Satta remake, mid-day has learnt that work on Krrish 4—the popular franchise headlined by Hrithik—is going full steam ahead. This comes as good news for fans since the fourth edition of the Rakesh Roshan-helmed franchise was put on hold after the filmmaker was diagnosed with throat cancer earlier this year.

A source reveals, "The father-son duo had announced the project in 2018 as a Christmas 2020 release. It was understandably put on the backburner after senior Roshan had to undergo a surgery. Now that the director has recovered, the film is back on track. The scripting is almost done, and the duo is now in the process of zeroing in on the cast. After the stupendous success of War, the Roshans are confident of pulling off a big visual spectacle. They have decided to mount Krrish 4 on a budget of over R250 crore." Since the superhero offering will require extensive pre-production, Hrithik is likely to complete another film before he trains his sight on the actioner.

Talking to mid-day, Hrithik confirmed that the latest instalment was finally big screen-bound. "This franchise is close to our heart, so, when my father wasn't keeping well, we decided to put it aside for a while. Now, he has recovered and is raring to go. So, we have started brainstorming and have begun work on the film." When quizzed if the film is likely to roll in the next few months, the actor said, "I can't put a timeline to when we may roll as it's a mammoth project. We will go on floors only when we have everything in place."

(Source: www.mid-day.com)

Vin Diesel on John Cena's character in 'Fast and Furious 9'

The shooting for 'Fast and Furious 9' is still underway. However, it was John Cena's last day on sets on Thursday and co-star Vin Diesel came up with a special video on Instagram singing praises for the former WWE wrestler. "I have to tell you when you see him in this movie, when you see his character come to life you will be blown away. You are going to be ecstatic about what he's contributed to this saga," Diesel said in an Instagram video.

While the filming has been going on for 16 weeks, the 52-year old on Thursday posted a clip of him and Cena as the latter was bidding adieu to the cast on his last day of the shoot. "Week 16, Fast 9 and it truly is as Jordana [Brewster] says a bittersweet moment because someone who've I've had the great pleasure of working with, John Cena, is finally filming his last day," Diesel said in the video. He continued showering Cena with praises saying, "I'm so so so proud of him, I can't even put it into words."

Meanwhile, the former wrestler who was also part of the clip teased the film to fans, saying, "I know a lot of you are asking questions: What do you do in the movie? Why are you here? What can you expect? I have many of those answers -- but you're going to have to wait and see." "You are in for a wild ride," Cena added.

It was in June that Cena revealed that he will also be a part of the ninth film in the action franchise. "For nearly 20 years, the Fast Franchise has entertained fans and created some of the biggest cinematic moments in history. It's an incredible honour to join this franchise and this family," he had then tweeted.

He is starring alongside Diesel, Jordana Brewster, Michelle Rodriguez and Tyrese Gibson. The film is set to hit theatres on May 22, next year.
 
(Source: www.mid-day.com) 
Subscribe to this RSS feed